The benefits of studying and reflecting spiritual books and sacred texts
by Atman Nityananda
1. It gives us inspiration, enthusiasm and strength to follow the path. It fosters our motivation to practice and develop certain qualities or abilities.
2. It gives us important information and knowledge for the path, the practices, the mind, the ego, the Self, the obstacles and various topics related to the spiritual path.
3. The knowledge we get from the books affirms the knowledge we already have and the reliability of our experience and as a result fosters self-confidence
4. Feed the mind with positive, lucid, sattvic thoughts. Thoughts are food for the mind and their quality affect the quality of our mind. Sattvic thoughts increase sattva in the mind and thus the mind can function in its higher potential
5. Feed the intellect with beliefs aligned with the truth
6. It connects us with the consciousness and vibrations of the writer that help us raise our consciousness and vibration
7. It helps us concentrate and forget the world and worldly thoughts (It is a type of pratyahara, ‘withdraw of the senses)
8. If we concentrate deeply, then reading becomes a type of meditation, especially with sacred texts such as Bhagavad Gita, Ribhu Gita, Avadhuta Gita, Ashtavakra Gita, Vivekachudamani, Moksha Gita.
9. It helps us to develop awareness of our true Self (Self-awareness)