The Essence of Spiritual Practice
by Atman Nityananda
Here I present the essentials of spiritual practice in a nutshell
- Be vigilant and pray. Being aware moment by moment, attentively observing the sensory world and ourselves..
Repeat a mantra or the name of God to maintain vigilance and Self-awareness (being in touch with the inner Self), purify the mind and heart and, together with prayer, dissolve egoic tendencies. Pray for inner guidance, strength, peace, love and light.
- Self-awareness. Be aware of the silent presence of Consciousness within you and resting as a silent witness to all the modifications of the mind (thoughts, imaginations, nemotions, feelings, desires, impulses, etc.),.
- Detach and attach.
- Detaching from objects, body and mind and attaching to the silent presence of Consciousness (Self, Atman) within.
- Detaching and let go of like and dislike, attraction and aversion to what is happening here and now, outside and inside, and attaching to the peaceful inner silence of the inner Self.
- Detaching and let go of desires for things to be different from our true Self and attaching ourselves to the peaceful inner silence of the true Self.
- Detaching and let go of the desire to experience pleasure now or later, and attaching oneself to the peaceful inner silence of the Being.
- Detaching and let go of any desire and expectation to find happiness and fulfillment in the next moment or in the future through some kind of experience and anything that is alien to the Self (Atman, Consciousness) and attaching to the inner peaceful silence of the divine essence.
- Consider ourselves an instrument of the divine or of life to serve others (in reality, there are no others).
Happiness always comes from within. From our divine essence and the sattva quality of the mind! Thus, Detach from objects, body and mind and attach to the silent presence of Consciousness (Being, Atman) within.
🌺 Peace, Love, Harmony
Read also in my blog: ABHYASA (Spiritual practice) – By Sri Swami Sivananda